Tuesday, September 18, 2018


 A lifetime passed before my voice was found...

This blog features excerpts of my writing -- some are just snippets that may grow into short stories or novels. Others are thoughts about The Journey posted in the hope that others may find some connection.

I was born in rural Birmingham, Alabama to a steelworker father and educator mother. The only African American in my class, I graduated USC with a BFA in Film Writing Cinema/TV. I am a member of the Gifts of a Wordsmith group and perform at the Carver Theater’s “On Stage” showcase. I have one published book of prose and poetry, Inspirational Verse for Those Who Hunger and Thirst: A Book of Poems to Feed the Soul (available on Amazon), and I'm finishing my second poetry book, Southern Fried Comfort Food: Recipes to Encourage the Soul, and my first novel, A Little Taste of Death, a sci-fi murder mystery. 

I divide my time between Birmingham, Alabama and Newport News, Virginia. I'm the mother of one son, Roderic, who is my inspiration.

For more info & interaction:
Artemis Craig Publishing
Press Kit
Facebook 
Twitter: @artsyhuntress58


Praise for Inspirational Verse for Those Who Hunger and Thirst

Artemis Craig has risen out of the ashes of Hollywood as an evangelical poet who has walked through fire, and lived to tell her story. .̶ Midwest Book Review

Her poems are like devotions. Artemis Craig takes us on a journey through her darkest moments, becoming very transparent about her suicide attempts, depression and hopelessness . . . and Hope..
Ellen Sudderth, ESP Literary Podcast

The poetry of Artemis Craig gives an intimate look at how the faith of her Mothers pulled her from a dark place. Artemus lives dependent on the God she learned at her mother and grandmother's knees.  The word pictures of her childhood invite others to find strength there, too.  Craig's journey to a living faith was uneven, according to her unveiled testimony about her struggles . . . Her honesty makes the reader want to know more; it makes the reader want to hear of her redemption.  I was impressed by the burning of a hot faith in God, and most impressed by her persistence as she struggled to overcome her life challenges.  Her strong belief in her Savior is the overwhelming message of hope from her writings. Susan Blanchard, PhD, Educator

Artemis Craig is a brave spiritual warrior with fragile big dreams who expresses her life story in magical verse. .̶ .̶ Grace Allison, Author of Do You Have a Dream Workbook

EXCERPTS FROM INSPIRATIONAL VERSE

Southern Fried Soul Food
Finger licking fried chicken, so good I chewed on a bone,
While Granny would tell me how
God would never leave me alone
To face life on my own
But would always provide tender loving care.
According to Granny, God would always be there
Faithful to show up when I was filled with despair.
She made sweet corn with bacon, the thick kind,
My mouth waters even now when I think of how
I crunched on the rind.
Back in the day with Granny making sure
The corn didn’t scorch or burn,
While I listened to her stories from the Bible
That I eventually learned
And appreciated enough to put them to rhyme,
So that I could cherish them as something
We shared as a moment in time.
I can remember her theory that a person’s soul needed to be fed,
Without reading the Bible, prayer, and having faith,
A soul would wind up dead.
Granny told me that God showed his love to us through deeds
He wanted us to do the same,
To do that we needed to exercise our faith
We need to believe in miracles
That had been performed in his name.
Granny warned me to keep God in my business
If I wanted to succeed,
And I believed just like her Southern fried
Soul food satisfied my natural hunger
I could find in God’s Word everything on which
My spirit needed to feed.


Life Not Mine to Save
One, one thousand, two, one thousand
Chest compressions like I’d been taught weren’t enough
Formed a seal over your mouth and into it blew a quick puff.
Stay with me! Stay with me! But you refused to wake,
Over again, over again the previous steps I’d vainly take.
Panic crept stealthily up along my spine
Clinging to my will like a choking vine.
Fear gripped me at the thought of your smile
Being gone forever,
Broken was the promise that you would leave me never.

The air sucked out of the room along with your final breath,
My life filled with gloom as you traded your life for death.
The relationship between father and daughter had never
Been stronger,
Sadly we were not fated to have our bond last longer.
Our journey together ended and family told me to be brave,
Though it’s hard to believe, your life was not mine to save.

Anger at God is all I can feel,
That along with the hope that somehow
This can’t possibly be real.

You’ve gone on to a better place are words I don’t receive
People ought to leave me alone while I grieve.
If I hear one more time, “I know what you’re
Going through”
Don’t judge me when I respond with, “How could you?”
Suspended in dark space filled with shame
Holding on to guilt for not saving your life
I feel I am to blame.

Away from me, Daddy, your body lies in the cold grave
It seems like only yesterday, try as I might,
Your life was never mine to save.
But mine to cherish in moments of panic and doubt,
To keep as memories when I feel trapped and can’t get out.


City of Angels
Came to the City of Angels to find love,
Ended up having to rise above
The fear that I would not succeed,
But I never forgot Granny’s advice about avarice and greed.
Got accepted into the University of Southern California
Film School,
I studied with top filmmakers which felt pretty cool.
God was good, I was on my way,
To have the world hear what I had to say.
City of Angels, land of opportunity,
Be a map and show me
The way paved to fortune and fame,
Make it soon while I’m at the top of my game.
Doors opened quickly in the film industry,
I learned my craft and couldn’t wait to see
The lengths I would have to go to make a movie.
Granny was elated at the news that I was doing well,
She always knew my grades before I had a chance to tell.
City of Angels, land of opportunity,
Stretched out before me, my future I clearly see.
Be a ray of sunshine shining bright,
Lead me to the place closest to heaven’s light.
Just as things seem to fall into place,
I ended up going to a very dark place.
Granny was taken in the dead of night,
I didn’t get to say good-bye and that was far from right.
We had been separated by two thousand miles.
I would have done anything for one of her smiles
For a single moment to help wipe away my tears,
And encourage me like she’d done for so many years.
City of Angels, land of opportunity,
The place where I searched for ways to be free,
I’m blinded by pain, my way I can hardly see,

Be an ocean and let me drown my sorrow in thee.


No comments:

Post a Comment